From:
Ron Gedney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 1996 12:35:27 -0400 (EDT)
"Urban",

Ralph's points are good, but I am looking at the PWB from the point of view
of direct chip attach with solder bumps ...and much finer line geometries
are required. I am glad that you see ways to get there.

My experience with copper on ceramic substrates would indicate that you
could go as thin as 0.2 mils (40K - 50K Angstroms) without getting into too
much trouble. I agree with Ralph that you have to watch Sn scavenging the
copper, but prudent processes could handle this thickness. Now this is fine
for signal lines (at least for CMOS digital circuits) which are relatively
insensitive to resistance. For short runs on the PWB, you should not have a
problem. This is not true if you are building large boards, but chances are,
the fine lines are only needed on small cards (e.g. PCMCIA). However, you
must calculate the currents and current density and be aware that in very
fine lines, current densities can be a problem. You will have to have
thicker lines/widths for ground and power distribution or use multiple lines.

Actually the finer spacings may work for you. To maintain constant impedance
lines (if needed - depends on the circuit speed and line lengths) finer
spacings mean thinner dielectrics. Since the trend is toward smaller and
lighter, thin dielectrics are the way to go!

Ron Gedney
Integrated Electronic Eng. Center
Watson School of Eng. & Applied Science
Binghamton University