From:
Michael Barmuta <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 17 Sep 1996 16:33:17 -0700

	Jim:We had a similar problem with Dynachem HG 2 mil a few years back.
	    The film was lifting along the edges in acid copper.Based on
	    cross section analysis of the lifted areas it appeared to be
	    occuring towards the end of the copper plating cycle.This was
	    then subsequently overplated with Sn/Pb etch resist.After strip
	    and etch the result were lines that ranged from wavy all the way
	    to a dead short depending on the line spacing and severity of the
	    lifting.
	    We chased this on and off for over a year looking at everything
	    from els.Cu surface topograhy to electroplating rack connections
	    and everything in between.I looked at more SEM's than I care to
	    remember.The good that came out of it was it helped us optimize
	    our resist processing operations however the problem still
	    remained;although to a lesser degree.
	    The answer for us came from a change in the pattern plate
	    preclean soak cleaner,too much heat,time and solvent.As a test
	    you can try bypassing it and seeing if the problem is reduced
	    or goes away,however this may be tough to catch due to the
	    sporadic nature of the problem.
	    The use of a less agressive cleaner cured the resist lift issue
	    for our application.A switch to LP resist didn't hurt either.

		Good Luck.

						Regards
						Michael Barmuta
				 .		Staff Engineer