From:
[log in to unmask] ( Kevin Seaman )
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 96 07:38:12 PDT
HOWZITGOIN?

Andy Pedersen wrote:

> Can anyone provide guidance on the design of a conductor
> width such that it will not be damaged by a high current
> spike.  I want to feel confident that, if a short occurs in
> the system, the conductor will not degrade before the
> fuse has a chance to do it's thing.  So, this is not really
> a derating question as much as one of short term overload.

If only it were that easy.  The reality is that given:

  conductor width
+ conductor thickness
+ current
= a hot trace

The question is, "How much hotter than ambient can you withstand?"
All the charts I have ever seen only tell you the temperature rise
in C degrees, not a minimum conductor width.

Maybe if you post your fax number someone will send you one of
these charts.

Thank you and have a FANTASTIC day!

Kevin L. Seaman
(714) 221-4752