From:
"Jeff Seeger" <simon.ipc.org!bort.mv.net!rapidcad!jseeger>
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 96 15:05:46 EDT

	About stenciled adhesives (bond stencils):

	We support two manufacturer's DFM specs that call for stenciled
	adhesive.  Both use rectangles for the "window", seemingly spec-
	ified in terms of spacing to soldered feature up to a maximum
	total size.

	One puts a silkscreened feature under the part to help raise the
	height of the adhesive.

	Neither gives a standard for sot23 components, which do not lend
	themselves to this; we've had to "punt" with an odd shape and have
	had apparent success, we've not been asked to modify it.

	This technique seems to be more common in the Pacific Rim than
	on US shores.

	Good luck,

        Jeff Seeger                             Applied CAD Knowledge Inc
        Chief Technical Officer                      Tyngsboro, MA  01879
        [log in to unmask]                               508 649 9800