From:
Gary Ferrari <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 1996 10:48:44 -0400
For years the military measured solder coating at the creast of a land. They
also said that the solder coating does not have to wet over the edge of the
land. Therefore, allowing a bit of exposed copper on the edges of a land. If
it worked all these years, we shouldn't be worried about minor exposure now.

_________________________________
>Subject: Soldermask Tented Vias
>Author:  [log in to unmask] at Internet-HICAM-OK
>Date:    6/19/96 8:48 AM
>

>Good Morning,
>
>We usually require soldermask over bare copper and tented vias (less than
>.020").  This typically means that the soldermask is dry film.  If a tented
>via is not required and liquid soldermask is used, it appears that the
>soldermask is suspect to flake off near the via knee, leaving a small amount
>of exposed copper.
>
>Is liquid solder mask over bare copper compliant with vias when the plating
>is eletroless nickel - immersion gold?
>
>Does the plating type matter?
>
>Is the suspect of exposed copper a non-issue?
>
>Thank you in advance of any comments.
>
>Kevin Thorson
>Lockhead Martin
>Eagan, Mn