From:
"Turbini, Laura" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 96 14:54:00 EST

Ivo,
1.  In dealing with solder paste, you must first ask yourself why are you
cleaning?  If you are using
a non-corrosive rosin flux per ANSI-J-STD-001, the residues are benign.  In
addition, the amount of
residues on a board from solder paste reflow are considerably lower than the
residues from wave
soldering.

2.  Low solids fluxes can leave visible residues.  Many of them have some
rosin or resin in the formulation
to encapsulate residues.  These may be visible under the microscope but many
of them are non-corrosive.

3.  If you are cleaning because you need to contact points for electrical
test, your flux and cleaning choice
can be water soluble paste/aqueous cleaning, rosin or resin-based paste with
semiaqueous cleaning,
or with aqueous detergent cleaning.

I hope that provides an additional perspective for your planning.