From:
Lars Ladefoged Holm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 1996 13:58:12 +0000
What are expirences with the test time length when testing boards with only pattern and with soldermask and after mounting with components.

Here are some of my questions.

A.
The mil spec. requires a minimum of one minute testtime, but this is normally not enough.
What are the correct test time ? Or rather.. How du you determine the right test time ??
			   	-XX minutes by experience ?
				-time until stable reading ?
				-time until raise in conductivity per minute is                                                    under some sort of limit.?
				- Or WHAT ???
Our problem is, that some soldermasks start to decompose when testing time is more than 5 minutes. And by decomposing, the soldermask adds to the conductivity, witch in that way continue to raise ....... and so forth until the test reatch the fail limit.

Do you have any experience in different soldermask systems resistance against the solvents used in cleanliness testing.

Fr-4 (GF) polyimide (GI) bare boards:

We have seen some examples, that IPA to some extent atacks the lamminate .
When testing  the test does not come to a stable level, but are continuing to raise, but in a decreasingly speed rate.
GF laminate is seen to be more vulnerable than GI laminate.

Have you seen laminate beeing *affected* in the described way, during cleanliness testing ?

What are your experience with the in MIL-P-55110 listed different equipments for cleanliness testing.

Can you bring me in contact with the companies selling the in MIL-P-55110E table IX listed equipments?

Does any one know some good litterature on this subjekt ?

What are your experience with testing boards after mounting with components ?
What spec no. talks about testing after mounting?

I am looking forward to hear from you all (Whell ... not ALL of the forum members).

Best regards

Lars Ladefoged Holm
Quality Engineering
Printca AS