From:
Jim Moffit <[log in to unmask]> (by way of [log in to unmask] (Jack Crawford))
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 1996 15:25:20 -0500
Following from the EMPF HelpLine, prepared by Jim Moffitt:

Stella, I don't think you will have any solder related reliability problem
as long as the pth is filled during wave solder.  If you can fill the pth,
and achieve a top-side fillet then the condition of the clinch should not be
a factor.  Chances are, depending on your flux and to what degree basis
(read that nonsolderble) basis metal has been exposed during clinching, you
will get satisfactory solder wetting on the secondary side of the pwb.
There are however, one or two other considerations.  Presuming the DIP leads
are Kovar or alloy 42 then your clinch process has no doubt exerted a
substantial pressure on the lead/body interface seal during crimping.  If
the lead clinching process results in the leads having entrained stress you
might, sooner or later depending on Tce mismatch, experience some separation
or detachment of the top of the DIP's.  This begs the question, now that
lead clinch is an uncontrolled characteristic, why do the full-clinch when
only a modest clinch is required to stabalize the parts during soldering.
Regards, Jim Moffitt/EMPF