From:
Michael Barmuta <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 1996 11:47:41 -0800

On Wed, 3 Apr 1996 15:14:11 -0800 Glynn Shaw wrote:

> From: Glynn Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 15:14:11 -0800
> Subject: Fab: CMI Eddy Current Probes
> To: [log in to unmask]
>

> We are currently using a CMI Eddy-Current machine to check the plating
> thickness of our products. We require that the machine be capable of
> checking .032" dia holes.
>
> Our problem is that the stinking probes are so delicate they keep breaking.
> Replacement probes are $500!
>
> Can anyone recommend a "fix" for our existing equipment or the phone number
> of a different equipment vendor that has possibly engineered a more robust
> piece of equipment.
>
> Glynn Shaw, President
> Proto Engineering Corp.
> 181 Commercial St.
> Sunnyvale, Ca. 94086
>
> email: [log in to unmask]
> phone: (408)738-0693
>   fax: (408)738-1290
> modem: (408)738-1388

	Glynn:We have expierenced the same problems as you are seeing with
the CMI PTX cu thickness tester.To give you a reference point we are plating
50 loads of cu per day,taking 5 measurements per load.Probe tip life is 10-12
weeks.
	Veeco(516-349-8300)also makes an eddy current tester model CDE-5100
with a different probe design.I have not used it so I can't comment on how
rugged it is.The bad news is the replacement probe cost is almost the same as
CMI.

	We are currently working on operator "techniques" to try and extend
probe life,to early to reach any conclusions.

	I have been very disappointed in the pricing structure of tips at
$500 a pop.Isn't this how Gillette made thier millions? Anyway I believe a
little more competion would help bring the price down.As a leader in the
manufacture of professional portable electronic test and measurement
equipment we have been dissatisfied with the reliability of this product.
		HHHhhhmmmmm  That gets me thinking......

					Regards: Michael Barmuta
						 Staff Engineer
						 Fluke Corp.
						 Everett Wa.