From:
"Michael J. Chmela" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 May 1996 13:47:15 -0400 (EDT)
Hello all:
Do any of you have experience in automated soldering of SMT parts onto teflon
type PCBs already soldered to an aluminum carrier?

The PCB is either a Rogers RO3006 or Arlon EPSILAM-10 material that is reflowed
to a tin plated aluminum carrier (up to .5"x15"x15") using solder paste.
 The configuration is reflowed under clamping pressure to prevent voids between
 the PCB and carrier. Afterwards, the SMT parts are soldered by hand.  This
process was choosen as a
less costly method than procuring the PCB already attached to the carrier
material and subsequently machined.

The question is, how do we keep the soldered interface (PCB/carrier) intact
while the SMT parts are reflowed?  My concern is that if we switch to a higher
temp solder for the interface to solve this problem, we will have problems with
 the PCB material after being exposed to that extreme temp. and
have problems with the oven at those elevated temps.  Cooling will also be a
problem, because of the mass.

Any comments from anyone with experience on this would be appreciated.