Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 96 15:14:54 EST
Lou,
       IBM specified an adhesion promoter (like b. oxide) under
       soldermask for years...not sure if they still do.
           marko

Greetings !

The Fab house that we use has recently asked us if they could use a black
oxide treatment on external layers of our designs. I know that this process
is used for internal layers but I want to know if any of you have used it
for external layers ? Their reason for using it is " To create better
adhesion for the solder mask and eliminate potential slivers ". To me, this
sounds more like a process problem. What do you think ?

To recap, do any of you use a black oxide coating on outer layers ?   If so,
 why ?.   If not, why not ?

Thanks in advance for your help !

Lou Takach

Union Switch & Signal Inc.