From:
Mike Matson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 96 11:11:00 PDT

TechNetters,
I forwarded the virus warning to our IS group and got this info back from
them.

Hi Mike,
     We are aware of this particular notice and this is the info that
addresses the "Good Times" thing after it was looked into again.

Following is the info on "Good Times".

HOAX OR VIRUS?
 ----------------------------
Good Times is NOT an e-mail virus, it is a hoax. The U.S. Government has
declared the Good Times virus a hoax. There has never been a copy of the
alleged virus detected nor has there been a single verified case of viral
attack caused by Good Times.

THE HOAX
 ----------------------------
The Good Times hoax began in December 1994, but the originator is unknown.
It is simply a series of warnings posted throughout the Internet causing
concern and confusion. These warnings claim that a virus called "Good Times"
is being spread through e-mail messages with "Good Times" in the subject
line. Supposedly, this virus will erase your hard drive or destroy your
computer.

HOW THE HOAX SPREADS
 ----------------------------
These warnings also encourage readers to send the warning to other users
(and thus spread the hoax or the fear of the Good Times Virus). Not aware
that it was a hoax, many users did send this warning to others and posted it
on bulletin boards. This widespread posting of the warning in multiple areas
created hysteria and alarmed many Internet users.

PREVENT THE SPREAD OF HOAXES
The Good Times hoax reoccurs periodically, the most recent occurrence was in
May of 1995.  Do not contribute to these hoaxes, before spreading warnings,
verify with someone knowledgeable that the information is correct and
accurate.

DAMAGE

regards,
Mike Matson