TECHNET Archives

August 1998

Date:
Mon, 3 Aug 1998 12:54:55 +0200
[TN] (2941 bytes) , [TN] (5 kB)
Hello Ed.
I have to agree with you: sometimes "hybrid" design is an echo from past times.
The reason why the design is so tight and not forgiving may be that we (in the
"hybrid" game) are too eager to miniatyrize everything on the substrate,
because making "hybrids" is often equal to making smaller (to convert a large
PWB into a matchbox sized "hybrid" is cool).Another reason may be that many
"hybrid" manufacturers are rather small compared to the gigantic PWB ditos.
This means that a lot of manual or semimanual work is done, in order to adjust
and fineplace, and oftenly little is P-P'd. Still another reason why things
look so strange is that the "hybrid" people are far from the enormous
processing resources that is typical for a PWB line. At our company (not so
small) there is still a remarkable loss of cooperation between the PWB people
and the "hybrid" people.
Those manufacurers within our company which have P-P also have a somewhat
better design appearance. Maybe you will see a comment from one of these guys.

These facts may answer some of your questions. Finally, I dislike the word
"hybrid", sounds like something from Mendelsohn's flower science......
                      /Ingemar / Ericsson Microwave Systems