From:
Dirk Bellamy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 1996 13:14:08 -0400
Hey folks,
Ok, we all know that certain surface mount components are moisture
sensitive.  This means that they may suffer damage during reflow
soldering conditions due to moisture expansion.
We are currently attempting to develop a company policy regarding these
little beasties, but are having some difficulty.
The problem is compounded by the fact that no one packaging standard
is followed universally.  We have component bags come in with
everything from simple moisture warning labels to labels with specific
instructions about humidity and temperature exposure -- anything but the
IPC's recommended 1-6 classification.
So my question is this: how are other companies handling these
components?
Also if you're using Vidmar type cabinets, please specify what gas
you're using to keep them dry (I'm trying to determine if dry compressed
air is adequate).
Thanks!
Dirk Bellamy
Manufacturing Engineer