From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 96 08:44:14 cst
     Hello Terry:
        We have had one experience similar to yours which may help shed
     some light on your header problem. We had a gold/nickel over copper
     base metal connector that built up resistance over time on a program.
     Scanning electron analysis showed only the presence of nickel and gold
     so we ruled out the possibility of copper diffusing through the nickel
     (which should be very unlikely anyway!). After careful examination of
     the SEM photo's we notice several "protrusions" in some of the porous
     areas in the gold plating. Using Auger analysis we found that the gold
     was porous enough that the nickel had diffused it's way to the
     surface. We worked with the connector vendor on the quality of the
     gold plating and the problem was resolved. I rarely see any
     information on nickel diffusing to the surface of gold plating and I
     wouldn't expect it to but then nothing is absolute. Good luck.

     Dave Hillman
     Rockwell Collins