From:
"Harris, William W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 May 96 14:55:00 PDT

This Good Times virus thing has been a recurring hoax for several years.

Interested parties should  visit the US Dept. of Energy's Computer Incident
Advisory Capability (CIAC) Website at:

http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/

Go to the "Notes" page and do a keyword search for "good times virus".  When
last I checked (about 15 minutes ago), there were five notes that address
this subject.

IPs might also wish to obtain the The Good Times Virus Hoax FAQ.  FTP to
usit.net and look in the pub/lesjones directory. The URL is:

ftp://usit.net/pub/lesjones/GoodTimes-HoaxFAQ.txt

Bill Harris, PE
Toxics Cleanup Program
Washington Department of Ecology
 ----------
>From: owner-groundwater
>To: elynx; ChristopherRhodes; P2; GROUNDWATER; Liebl; TechNet
>Cc: zangwill; siegel; Glick
>Subject: Virus Alert
>Date: Friday, May 10, 1996 8:27AM
>

>This was forwarded to me from a from a pretty good source.  Better safe
than
>sorry.
>

>Immediately delete (do not open or read) any email you might receive with
>the subject heading "Good Times."

>There is a computer virus that is being sent across the Internet. If  you
>receive an email message with the subject line "Good  Times", DO NOT read
>the message, DELETE it immediately.  Please read the messages below.  Some
>miscreant is sending  email under the title "Good Times" nationwide, if you
>get anything like this, DON'T DOWN LOAD THE FILE!
>
>It has a virus that rewrites your hard drive, obliterating anything on it.
>Please be careful and forward this mail to anyone you care about.
>
>                         WARNING!!!!!!!  INTERNET VIRUS
>   **

> The FCC released a warning last Wednesday concerning a matter of major
>importance to any regular user  of the Internet. Apparently a new computer
>virus has been engineered by a user of AMERICA ON LINE that is unparalleled
>in its destructive capability. Other more well-known viruses such as

<snip of remaining wild claims>