From:
"Uptain, George" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 1996 07:56:31 -0500
   I searched the ipc.org archives but didn't come up with any relevant
hints on how to design a fusible link into a circuit board.  I want to
run a 50 mil trace but neck it down to some value for about 200 mils so
that if overcurrent is applied I'll know where it'll blow.  This would
be such a rare occasion that a fuse is not warranted nor practical due
to high voltage, >1000.
   Does anyone have any idea on how to tackle this?  What calculations
should I use to determine when the neck down will fry?  The IPC curves
are very conservative in our experience.  I want it to blow not glow?
:-)  Remember that the nearby 50 mil trace will heatsink the neck down
to some extent.
   Thanks for any input.  Any replies direct to me will be concatenated
and disseminated over TechNet unless otherwise requested.

George Uptain - Schlumberger Well Services
512-331-3183
Austin, Texas