TECHNET Archives

April 2003

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 17:27:24 +0300
Peter

Answers below:

[log in to unmask] wrote:
> Brian,
>
> Very many thanks for replying to my post. Part of your answer begs another
> question - if conductivity is linear and can accurately reflect
> contamination levels down to virtually zero, why are all the Ionic
> Cleanliness Test machines designed to measure resistivity and not
> conductivity?

a) They aren't. The Contaminometer uses a unique ballistic conductivity
meter. b) Some of the American ones use resistivity as a legacy from
Hobson's initial experiments, whereby he used a commercial resistivity
meter.

> I don't know how to set about coverting a machine to read conductivity of a
> liquid instead of resistivity. Is there an easy way to do it, or has no-one
> tried? I wouldn't want to just use a formula to convert the resistivity
> reading into a conductivity value, since I don't trust the resistivity
> readings at low contamination levels in the first place. There would be no
> point, as the results wouldn't be so linear.

You would have to change the instruments' measuring systems, recalibrate
(not easy), and alter the algorithms in the firmware or software.

> Sorry, I'm going to cross-examine further - using a 50:50 water:alcohol mix
> will certainly help dissolve more of the non-water-soluble residues and
> thereby release more ionic contamination into the test solution to be
> measured.

This is not the point. The IPA is there mostly to increase the
solubility spectrum, especially of rosin residues. It also decreases the
surface tension and viscosity of the solution. It is ONLY the water that
affects the readings, so if you double the quantity of water by going
from 75% to 50% v/v IPA, you double the sensitivity. There is another
advantage of 50%: it is less likely to saturate with heavy metal salts.

That would prove that you have a dirtier board than you
> previously thought, and prove that cleanliness measurement is a relative
> thing, not an absolute. It does not, however, improve the linearity or
> correlation of the readings the machine gives against the amount of
> contamination in the test solution - the higher amount of contamination
> might just take the readings into a region of the correlation curve where
> they coincide better, but that's all.

Not so. Say, with a 75% solution and assuming a constant temperature,
you start at an initial conductivity of 0.005 uS-cm and with a given
quantity of contamination you end with 0.02 uS-cm and you meter has an
absolute precision of +/- 0.002, then your start may be anywhere between
0.003 and 0.007 and your end may be 0.018 to 0.022. Your delta cond will
therefore be between 0.011 and 0.019 or 0.015 +/- 0.004 or +/-27%. If,
under the same conditions, you use a 50% solution, for the same
contamination, the nominal values, with the same meter accuracy, will be
0.010 +/- 0.002 and 0.040 +/- 0.002, so the min/max differential will be
0.030 +/- 0.004 or +/- 13%. In practice, it will not be as bad as this
sounds a) because the instrument will probably be more accurate than
that if it is a conductivity meter and b) because, if there were an
error in one direction at the start value, it would most likely have
about the same error for the end value, in which case the dirrerential
error will become negligible.

> I agree with your other comments about minimising atmospheric CO2
> absorbtion and restricting test-run times to 15 mins max (...?), although I
> was finding that  at least one of the machines was reading low at the low
> contamination level end of my testing - bad enough if there had been no CO2
> influences on the results, almost worse if there were such influences,
> since the departure from accurate figures would have been even worse.

The European Space Agency report published about 1980 showed that low
readings were commonplace with low values of contamination with "static"
instruments employing resistivity meters for the reasons already cited.
They have improved since then, but the basic conceptual fault does remain.

> I should have the courage of my convictions - it had penetrated me
> reasoning that static technology ought to be better for measuring low
> contamination levels than dynamic. However, we have a dynamic machine in
> our hands for playing with, and a good price is being asked if we want to
> buy it. The man holding the budget is keen, even if he doesn't seem to
> understand the subtle minutiae of the measurement process and its pitfalls.
> We're 99% of the way to clinching the deal already, but I'm still not
> convinced that it can measure that well without a lot of work to correlate
> the readings with actual contamination levels - i.e. so an operator can
> look up the machine reading on a chart and get a "true" contamination
> figure.
>
> I would still like to know, though, if there is work being done to produce
> machines that are 'comfortable' with measuring low contamination levels to
> replace those that are operating right on their limits (or beyond) to
> measure low levels. Saying a machine is quite capable of reading 0.2ug NaCl
> eq-cm^-2, without taking the board area into account makes such a claim
> meaningless. Many a machine will return such a cleanliness level reading if
> you have a large enough board area to extract lots of contamination from.
> The real question is "What is the smallest gross weight of contamination
> that a machine can accurately measure, before it is divided by the board
> area?" If it can measure accurately all the way to zero ug (either by
> measuring resistivity or by measuring conductivity, that's the machine for
> me! Anybody have one at a reasonable price?

By definition, a conductivity meter is linear down to 0 uS-cm +/- its
tolerance. Provided it is sensitive enough, then there should be no
problem. The ballistic meters we used in my days with the
Contaminometers were able to measure reasonably accurately down to 0.001
uS-cm for the CM series and 0.0005 uS-cm for the MCM series. With a 75%
solution, the best starting conductivity we could reasonably attain in
practice was about 0.0042 and for a 50% solution about 0.007 uS-cm. This
was the equilibrium point of deionising in the resins and leaching ions
from the air and constructional materials. We used the ballistic system
because, with DC systems, polarisation became a problem and reduced the
readings, while with AC systems, even at low frequencies, the capacitive
current became much greater than the resistive current (several orders
of magnitude) and phase detection became inaccurate with that
difference. Don't forget that the dielectric constant of the solution is
about 50!

I am confident, with more modern technology (remember I stopped
designing the systems when Multicore took the CM range over in 1991), I
could conceive instruments today that would meet your requirements
fully. However, I'm no longer in the business. My starting point would
not be an IPA solution. I would still use the ballistic conductivity
meter, though. Unfortunately, I think the technology of ICT or ROSE has
not progressed at all over the last decade. The main reason for this is
the competition and the pressure on prices, which have typically halved.
Something has to give to achieve this and this is at the level of the
instruments and what they are able to do. One cannot make a Rolls-Royce
out of the components of a Ford Escort.

I hope these explanations will help you.

Brian