From:
"Dill, Norm J" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 96 12:50:00 DST

Stephen,
      To help answer the second half of your question "..... is it worth
it", I offer this summary of responses to a note I posted here several weeks
ago concerning Au/Ni vs. HASL thickness on boards with fine pitch (<= 20
mil) pad patterns.
       We have been seeing a consistantly inconsistant variation in the
thickness of the solder coatings on these pad patterns.  The main concern
was random excess solder.
        Of the responses I rec'd, NONE were negative about replacing HASL
with Au/Ni plated finishes and no one tried to recommend the use of HASL on
fine pitch boards.  In fact several responses were clear that the HASL
process should not be recommended for fine pitch patterns.
        One additional observation from the responding people that have been
directly involved with conversion to Au/Ni, they were able to drop it
directly into their present processes without changing fluxes, cleaners,
etc.
        Changing from HASL to any other copper coating represents a major
change (potential disruption) in the board assembly process.  I was
impressed with the over all positive attitudes and the simplicity of the
change.
        If your board has fine pitch pad patterns on it, you may want to
consider using gold.

            Norm Dill