From:
"Bob Lundquist" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 96 08:05:37 CDT
Based on my experience, I would have to agree with Don's basic ideas.
When I was responsible for such operations, I used a conductivity
meter with the probe in the same cell as where the water was
introduced in the counterflow series of cells.  I set the meter so
that it turned on at twice the conductivity of the incoming water.
This was an arbitrary starting point; I am sure that with further
testing, we could have lowered the setpoint.  And this was with
softened city water.  DI and RO water have their uses, but in
an electroless line, for example, they sound like overkill.  If
possible, a hang time of 10 seconds over a process bath maximizes the
drainage in a reasonable amount of time; minimizing water usage means
minimizing the need to rinse.  As Don implied, making theoretical
calculations is a lost cause since variable interactions are too
costly to figure out.  An empirical approach is most cost effective:
what works for your specific situation will be determined by trial and
error.  Rinsing may also be most effective with warmer water vs.
cold water and bubbling vs. no bubbling or other agitation to
maximize mixing.  And don't forget simpler things like: no
uncontrolled hoses, automatic shut-offs, spray rinses, restrictors,
etc.
I once heard someplace:  What is Clean?  Better is the evil of
good enough.

Robert Lundquist
Assistant Director -- MnTAP
Suite 207