TECHNET Archives

June 1997

From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 97 20:45:42 cst
     Hi Technet!

     The question (for a HASL finish) was:

     "Why do I get different Tin content levels on the same board,depending
     on the solder thickness I found?
     In the range of ~1micrometer I get higher readings,although the alloy
     is "recognizable".
     Is it a calibration error, the real thing, or me? "

        HASL is a very dynamic process and as Tom mentioned a fabricator is
always walking the line between having too much or too little solder left on
the board. Surface tension can be a pretty devious beast to control and with
a variety of pad geometry's and diversity across a board, getting a nice
uniform solder finish is hard to do. That's one reason many folks don't like
HASL finishes if they are not doing JIT manufacturing or have noncontrolled
manufacturing conditions - the changing HASL thickness can lead to a loss of
solderability depending on the oxidation conditions. The copper and tin
metallurgically combined to form copper-tin intermetallic which will shift
the solder alloy tin content levels around depending on the thickness the
HASL process produced. This is a real thing and not magic. One method around
this is to get very precise calibration standards that correspond to the
solder thickness that the HASL process produces. However, getting standards
that mimic HASL solder finish thickness for the purpose of measuring tin
content is mostly an impractical effort because any layer of copper and tin
will continue to change slightly with time as the intermetallic grows making
the "standard" always changing. The good news is you can accurately measure
the solder thickness, the bad news is the tin content is a shifting
target.Just one of those metallurgical items that makes circuit boards fun.
Hope that helps.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins