From:
"Luis Rivera" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 15:58:44 +600 CDT

Regarding John's E-Mail shown below and presuming the "dissipation
loss" is the same as dissipation factor or loss tangent.

IPC-D-316 defines dissipation factor as the ratio of the energy
dissipated in a material to the energy stored.

The title for IPC-D-316 is "Design Guide for Microwave Circuit Boards
Utilizing Soft Substrates".

Below is an extract of what Clyde F. Coombs, Jr., in his Third Edition
of the "Printed Circuits Handbook, says about dissipation factor.

"Dissipation factor - Method: ASTM D 150. Unit if value:
dimensionless. In an insulating material, the dissipation factor is
the ratio of the total power loss, in watts, in the material to the
product of the voltage and current in a capacitor in which the
material is a dielectric. It varies over a frequency range [it goes
up as frequency goes up]."

Not being formally schooled in the Laws of Physics that explain it, I
have found it easy to think about the dissipation factor as the ratio
of electrical energy lost in the form of heat through the dielectric
material, to the electrical energy being transmitted through a
conductor path.

I think that the higher the loss, the more signal attenuation there
is, which leads to increases in rise times, which are critical in
high speed and microwave applications. Hopefully other Technet
members will confirm this relationship.

Both the IPC-D-316 and the Coombs Handbook list values for various
dielectric materials used to fabricated printed circuit boards.

Regards,

Luis Rivera
CompuRoute, Inc.
Dallas, TX