TECHNET Archives

December 2019

From:
Joe Russeau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 2019 16:07:35 -0500
Good Day Guy,

I can't speak to the Magnalytix system, as I believe it is fairly new.
As to your question about test coupons, I would put forth that perhaps
you take a look at the IPC-B-52 test board.  This test vehicle is
designed for the type of testing that you're asking about.  It has a
pretty long history of use across a variety of material and process
types. It is the primary board that we see used for both material and
process evaluations, validations and qualifications.

Now, it's primary drawback is that it doesn't have all of the latest
devices designed on to it.  It does have a location where an engineer
could add in a specific component design and we have seen some companies
opt to add in specific component types, such as QFN's.  The SIR test
method specific to the IPC-B-52 is TM-650 method 2.6.3.7.  Also  you
might take a look at IPC-9202, which gives guidance on this topic.  If
you would like to discuss in more detail offline, my contact information
is below.

Best Regards,

Joe

--
Joe Russeau
Materials and Process Scientist

Precision Analytical Laboratory, Inc.
329 E. Firmin St.
Kokomo, IN 46902

P: (765) 252-3970

F: (765) 252-3971

E: [log in to unmask]

Visit us on the web at www.precisionanalysts.com [1]

Confidentiality Notice:

This e-mail, and any attachment(s), is for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s) and may contain information that is confidential and
protected from disclosure under the law. Any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient(s), please contact the sender by reply e-mail, and delete /
destroy all copies of the original message and attachment(s). Thank you.

On 2019-12-19 15:17, Guy Ramsey wrote:

> We have been exploring the J-STD-001G amendment.
> We think we have a "qualified" process because:
> 1. We have monitored our process for several years and established an
> action threshold at a level that is much lower than the old IPC limit.
> Because with know the "normal" ROSE test result from or Ionograph.
> 2. We have never seen evidence of corrosion on assemblies returned from the
> field. And have no reports of corrosion from customers.
>
> But, we have not done any SIR testing in years. The mix of parts and part
> densities have changed dramatically. We have no reason to trust the old SIR
> test results.
> We would like to gather objective evidence that our cleaning process is
> compliant.
>
> Any experience out there with the Magnalytix system?
> Any advice about test coupon selection?
> Anyone?

Links:
------