From:
"Dill, Norm J" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 96 18:06:00 EST

Leo,
    The most value smocks have is marketing.  With respect to image - smocks
are cool.  With respect to ESD, their value is a good topic for discussion.
  I would never want to base an ESD system on them.
     For actual ESD protection you need real static conducting paths that
shunts the static voltage away from your components.  As an enhancement to
your ESD foundation, you can add items or procedures that reduce the
generation of static.
     Other than image, I see no reason why smocks could be a manditory
component of the shunt path.