From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 96 09:04:36 cst
     Hi Jan!

     I can't begin to list the bismuth references that would help you out
     but I can fill in some info. Bismuth solders have been used around the
     industry for a long time. Most of the uses have been in select
     applications and not on a broad scale. Roger Wild of IBM lead the
     charge with implementing a wave soldering operation with 42Sn/58Bi and
     I think it was Unisys in Minneapolis that was doing a similar process
     on a huge (30 some layer) computer mother board. I have not heard of
     any other "mass" operations. One drawback of using a Bi alloy is that
     if you solder to a surface that contains lead (Pb) you have a chance
     of forming a Pb/Sn/Bi phase that melts at 96C resulting in
     "hotshortness" which makes the solder joints go to pieces. The NCMS
     Lead Free Study that will be published soon has some great information
     on the performance of Bi alloys with both thermal cycling and process
     data. I can't disclose those results prior to the release of their
     report but let's just say bismuth can cause you some serious problems
     under different conditions. I know of several applications of alloys
     50Sn/40Pb/10Bi and 43Pb/43Sn/14Bi that are working very well but one
     caveat - the max temperature the assembly is exposed to is 95C. Give
     me a call and we can discuss the topic of Bi further.

     Dave Hillman
     Rockwell Collins
     319-295-1615