From:
<[log in to unmask]> (Darren Hitchcock)
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 96 10:57:31 PDT
The breakdown voltage of a material is determined primarily by the
Dielectric Strength.  FR4 has a dielectric strength of about 500
Volts/mil.  Polyimide has a dielectric strength of about 750
Volts/mil.  You will need to look at the impact of using thicker
dielectric with FR4 or a thinner dielectric with Polyimide.  There
will be some design tradeoffs as well as cost impacts.  I think
the FR4 will be the least expensive alternative.

The dielectric strength will drop as the temperature rises.  I'm
not aware that the Tg has anything to do with the differences
between FR4 and Polyimide at room temperature.  I anticipate that
the dielectric strength of FR4 will degrade more rapidly than
Polyimide as the temperature rises because the Tg of FR4 (about
135C) is lower than the Tg of Polyimide (about 260C).

In addition, moisture in the materials lowers the dielectric
strength.  The dielectric strength at higher humidity will
decrease slightly.

Hope this helps,
Darren Hitchcock
(503) 359-2658

------------- Begin Original Message -------------

| Using 1.6mm FR4 with LPISM, we need information on
| how to prevent
| breakdown between tracks on the outside layer
| separated by 12thou,
| when subjected to 1500V continuously.  What sort of
| coatings/processes
| aid this?
|

|  --
| Regards,            (A4fonHPUX9.0onHP715,710)    JNA
| Telecommunications
| Limited                                  ___  _____
|   16 Smith Street
| Dom Bragge    (VK2YAK)        __ / / |/ / _ |
| Chatswood NSW 2067
| PWB Designer, (R&Ddiv)       / // /    / __ |
| AUSTRALIA
| Tel: (+61 2) 9935 5792       \___/_/|_/_/ |_|
| email [log in to unmask]
| Fax: (+61 2) 9417 3862
:
/
/
.
.
.

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
| ******************************************************
| * TechNet mail list is provided as a service by IPC
| using SmartList v3.05
*

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
| and no text.
*

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
| ******************************************************
| * TechNet mail list is provided as a service by IPC
| using SmartList v3.05
*

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
| and no text.
*

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
| ******************************************************
| * TechNet mail list is provided as a service by IPC
| using SmartList v3.05
*

*
*