From:
Don Vischulis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 1996 22:12:44 -0500
I tried electrolytic tin in the early 80's and the tin slivers from plating overhang were a major contributor
to reliability problems.  The etch factors for the chemistries able to produce solderable tin after etching
could result in yield losses during board fabrication due to excessive plating overhang.  Slivers may escape
detection at electrical test and result in a substandard separation between traces with a potential for
dendritic growth (a sliver is present but doesn't contact the adjacent circuit).  I realize that you have a
contact issue, but how can you be sure that the electrolytic tin plated contacts will not be prone to slivering
when inserted into a customer's unit.  The question of how large of a sliver could you tolerate without
affecting the operation of the unit must be answered when determining the amount of plating overhang that is
acceptable.  I am not aware of the existance of a non-destructive test that will measure the amount of plating
overhang.  This means either destructive testing or reliance on SPC and statistical analysis of your board
fabricator's plating and etching processes.

Have you considered that tin is a melting metal and that this application will require solder resist over
electroplated tin?  While employed at an OEM assembly operation undergoing the transition to surface mount,
specifications permitted either tin/lead reflow or SMOBC/HAL.  We quickly found that solder resist dams,
regardless of width, did not inhibit wicking of solder under the solder resist.  This resulted in a loss of
solder volume and solder joints that were less than optimum.  A complicating factor was that the amount of
wicking varied according to the geometry of the surrounding traces and the width of the dam.  This meant that
each solder paste opening in the stencil would require optimization by experimentation.  It was much easier and
more cost effective to require SMOBC/HAL as the finish.

I didn't mean to have this reply sound so negative, but as more questions arose the potential for reduced
reliability seemed to increase.  I know that there have been proponents of tin as a replacement for precious
metal plating, but the processes used to produce printed boards must be evaluated on thier own merits (and
limitations).  I wish you luck with this project, and I hope that you will send me email to let me know the
final results.

Don Vischulis