TECHNET Archives

March 2020

From:
Morgan Viggers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Morgan Viggers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 2020 14:56:36 -0700
You are correct that soldermask properties can vary by the individual mask,
but some generalizations can be made about certain mask colors that I think
most PCB fabricators would agree with.  There can also be an interaction
with the surface finish - some are harsher than others when it comes to
attack on the soldermask.  For us, we have the same mask rules for green,
blue, and dark purple colors.  Red has slightly worse adhesion and requires
slightly wider webs, especially with ENIG finish.  Black is very
problematic, every fabricator I know will require wider webs with black
mask.

Morgan Viggers
Field Applications Engineer
ISU Petasys