Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 96 09:06:29 EST
     With higher tech product these days and the associated high aspect
     ratio copper plating chemistries, we're looking for a good method to
     determine when to carbon treat as a preventative measure.  For years
     I've used a guideline of carbon treating copper baths every 6 mos. or,
     if through put per gal was very high, perhaps quarterly.

     T&E results are so susceptible to sample prep, and I've never really
     found them to correlate to anything but perhaps extreme organic
     contamination.  I've never felt comfortable relying on those to
     indicate when to treat.

     Multiple thermal shock is another method I'm hearing is an indicator.
     We currently pass six or more, yet just went through a bath decant to
     minimize detrimental organic build up while awaiting installation of a
     new carbon treatment system.  The baths are only about 6 mos. old but
     with only about 3 months of production throughput.

     Appreciate any ideas or schemes that work for others, especially high
     volume, high tech.