From:
"Jeff Seeger" <simon.ipc.org!bort.mv.net!rapidcad!jseeger>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 96 18:24:35 EDT

	Hello, TechNet!

	I have a situation where our customer is being asked for "ruggedized"
	product.  The product category is generally Type 3 and 4 PWB's, with
	Class 2 expectations, fine pitch components both sides, (of course)
	moderate high-speed rules.  Product is built in ~100 piece lots.

	Is there a general scheme of "ruggedizing" the PWA, or does this
	simply imply an upgrade to Class 3 standards?  I'm not sure density
	will allow a full Class 3 implementation.

	Is there anything non-subjective about "ruggedizing"?  I've not seen
	it mentioned anywhere.

	Would selective upgrades to Class 3 qualify as "ruggedized"?  Which
	areas?

	Of course, I have no specific performance requirements, just the
	word "ruggedized".  From the nature of the product, I would guess
	there could be application for mobile equipment.

	Can any "rugged" folks out help an old soft-in-the-head design guy?

	Thanks alot, and best regards,

        Jeff Seeger                             Applied CAD Knowledge Inc
        Chief Technical Officer                      Tyngsboro, MA  01879
        [log in to unmask]                               508 649 9800