TECHNET Archives

October 1999

From:
Paul Klasek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Oct 1999 15:45:32 +1000
It's beginning to be visible Gaby :
2 stack ceramic , one (bottom I presume) dipped, one gold on top .
1206 or 0805 presuming again ; with quite likely 3-4%Ag alloy:96, (common
high temp),
soldering the stack together .
Than you take this sub, assemble with rest of componentry in 63/37 ;
and pass this stack through say 230'C without additional solder .
Than you find the crack , (WHICH WAS NOT THERE BEFORE [?]).

Well ; from my simple logic the crystalline formations on subsequent reflow
do move and retighten upon cooling differently,
and since the ceramo is not going to give a nanoinch it does crack ;
the Ag (suspected) IMT's may be hard at work on second pass (as I noticed
drastic accelerations on AuSn IMT's upon subsequent passes) .

Soo, my semieducated guess would be : hunt original (high temp alloy)
solder, Gaby,
if it's anything with 3%+ Ag ; when you mix it with a dose of Au on top,
and "soak" some life out of it too, in the end it's as brittle as sandstone
(metaphorically).
As far as I see it , there's your "BINGO"

With A bit of luck Werner, Guenter, or the rest of reliability academia will
reflect on this with some more specific memorabilia.
Anyhow ; march to TELETEC ; verify the alloy , and give them a free lesson
then (if it all clicks).

cu

Paul Klasek
ResMed