From:
"Leo P. Lambert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 1996 22:55:05 -0400 (EDT)
Hello Suzanne, my best guess at this is the formation of intermetallics
between the solder coating and the copper.  The growth of the intermetallic
layer between the copper and tin/lead surface will be very brittle and will
crack if enough forces are applied. Once the intermetalic cracks then it
will start to flake off leaving behind and appearance of exposed copper.
Under metalurgical evaluation you will probably find tin/copper
intermetallic formations to confirm this effect.

There is probable no way this board can be made to be solderable again and
it will most likely need to be scrapped.

Good luck,

Leo Lambert