From:
"Ralph Hersey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
18 Jul 1996 09:31:32 -0700
        Reply to:   RE>>FWD>RE>ASSY revision J-STD-

Jeff,

The concern I would have about soldering directly to a chip components
electrical terminal is the bond strength of the electrical termination to the
ceramic.  In my experience, I've observed quite a variation in bond strength
(tensile and clevage forces) between the metallizations and ceramic.  If the
stress/strains can be eliminated/controlled, then I don't see any reason not
to do a direct component attach to a suitable area on the surface of the
printed board.

I wouldn't recommend doing the component attach to a solder resist over
conductors because (IMO) solder resist shouldn't be used as a primary
dielectric --- too many process variables.

IMO, it can/could be done --- go for it.
Ralph