From:
"Yuen, Mike" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 09 May 96 11:33:00 CDT

 ----------
From: Yuen, Mike
To: mbyrne
Subject:  Re[3]: BGA FInish
Date: Thursday, May 09, 1996 10:20AM

MB,

Q:   Isn't that a pretty tight range?
A:   The number provided in my response is a conservative answer. You also
have to consider the solder joint volume  vs the gold thickness. According
to a study done by an OEM,  if the gold content is less than 3% of the
 resultant solder joint volume, no appreciable solder embrittlement will
occur.  Therefore, the volume of gold on all pads must be less than 3% of
the resultant solder joint by volume. Since gold is porous in nature,  the
electro deposited gold of 1.5 um or less will be porous and will give poor
protection to the underlying metal. Frequently, immersion gold will leave a
thickness on top of the nickel of 2 to 8 micro inches. However, when using
electrolytic gold, the thickness is greater and much more difficult to keep.
Therefore, if your vendor uses electrolytic gold, you must have a note that
controls the maximum thickness to 15 micro inches. Over this thickness, you
must be concerned about embrittlement.  On the other hand, with immersion
gold, you don't have to worry about the thickness getting greater than 8
micro inches.

Qb:   What if there is something on the other side, say, that will be used
for wire bonding?
A:        A thicker gold coating can be achieved with electroless gold if
there is a need for  wire-bonding.

Thanks