TECHNET Archives

March 2024

From:
Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2024 09:16:32 -0600
Hi All,

Doug and Ioan both got my reply earlier, so may be the Technet is working
again. I'll try this post.

Just ran into an issue with an ESD Diode from Texas Instruments. PN#
is TPD1E10B06DPYR.

It is a tiny X1SON part that exhibits some pretty bad cracking after reflow:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPp6LspjK3p06cirTy8Z7pW6kUxN9-EdxKnrj7muxemJuPaTfoZJXq6QqWx9_eUXQ?key=aFV3OVh0WW5UbkNlSG0zTVM1ZjU3VjdIU2pYMDZB

The part is being placed with a MyData (MyCronic) MY19. There is no visible
cracking after pick and place and prior to reflow. The part package data in
the machine was verified against the datasheet dimensions and is correct.
The part is MSL-1. We have another X1SON part of another part number that
is not cracking. The label for these parts says the date code 2018, which
to me is very old.

The reflow profile was verified with a KICSTART-2 profiler and verified to
be well within FCT's AmpOne SAC305 parameters.

Roughly 2° per second ramp rate, in a RTS profile to a 239° max peak temp,
for a reflow time above 220° at 48 seconds. Pretty unremarkable profile.
Around 4-minutes long

You can only see these cracks AFTER reflow, they are not visible before
reflow. Have any of you ever seen anything like this?

TIA!

--
Steve Gregory
Kimco Design and Manufacturing