TECHNET Archives

July 2009

From:
"Kane, Amol (349)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Kane, Amol (349)
Date:
Wed, 15 Jul 2009 09:21:03 -0400
Pradeep, have you sent your pictures to Steve for posting on the forum? I have not seen any pictures of this condition. Depending on how much moisture the board has absorbed, baking at 120C for 2 hours will be insufficient. We bake certain boards for upto 8 hours at 110C before wave to avoid solderability issues.

Some comments about wave parameters:110 cm/min (3.6 ft/min) seems to be on the high side for a 2.4 mm (0.094") thick board. The PCB should be in contact with the wave for 2-4 seconds, but also be withing the flux spec for preheat. Too hot or tool cold a preheat will also cause issues. Have them check the solder contact time and flux activation temperature. Is their solder pot composition in spec?

Regards,
Amol