From:
"ALAN COCHRANE" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 96 12:07:20 PST
     I work for a bare board manufacturer and have had to deal with this
     issue many times. It will always be the responsibility of the board
     mfg to supply electrically GOOD boards. However if the customer
     decides not to pay for electrical test then in that case it will be
     the responsiblity of the board supplier to replace the boards PERIOD.
     I think it is no different for the OEM.  Would any OEM out there
     set-up a functional test set for FREE. The cost will either be
     amortized into the piece price or paid for as NRE. It is my experience
     that you don't get things for free in this life.
     If we take this to the next level and get this scenario. I purchase
     $100 worth of laminate material from a supplier which is rated as V0.
     We build boards they are assembled and shipped to the end user.  A
     defective part causes the fans to shut off,the unit overheats and the
     unit burns completely. Do I understand that there are people out there
     that feel it would be fair to pass along the complete cost to the
     laminate supplier?  I have a problem with bringing lawyers to help
     settle disputes.  I think the level of liablilty should be discussed
     openly between the parties. I can't help but feel if there is a good
     realtionship between the 2 parties that things can't be worked out.

     Alan C.