Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 96 8:06:19 PDT
Michael Martinez <[log in to unmask]> Wrote:

|      Hello All those in Technet,
|
|      I am in dire need of information concerning gold plating
|      specifications. I am researching two processes gold
| flash and gold
|      plating and would like to know if there are any articles
| or sources
|      that will shed any light to these two different
| processes. I do know
|      that gold flash is a less expensive approach than
| plating, but I would
|      like to know all draw backs to it. Any information will
| be greatly
|      appreciated.
|
|      Thanks,
|      Mike

Mike:

MIL-G-45204 is a good spec for gold flash (immersion gold) and QQ-N-290 is
a good spec for underlying Ni layer (eletroless Ni). IPC-2221 (working
version) is a good reference for Ni layer thickness. The advantage of
this technology is better coplanary and anti-corrosion.  The draw back
will be solderability, shelf life, Au porosity, P content (8-10% is the
upper limit) in Ni and strength of intermetallics.  It is know that Au-Sn
intermetallics is weaker than Cu-Sn intermetallics.

Some good readings are *Effect of Aging on the Strength and Ductility of
Controlled Collapse Solder Joints" by K. Banerji and R. Darveaux of
Motorola , *Materials Developments in Microelectronics Packaging:
Performance and Reliability* by D.R. Frear, f.M. Hosking and P.T. Vianco
of Sandia National Lab, *Microstructure of Electroless Nickel-Solder
Interactions by V.F. Hribar, J.L. Bauer, and T.P. O'Donnell from
California Institute of Technology.

Nora