From:
"Ralph Hersey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
2 May 1996 08:13:10 -0700
                      Subject:                              Time:  7:56 AM
  OFFICE MEMO         RE>Fab-Re: Nailheading (n+1)          Date:  5/2/96

There has been much said about nailheading, and some individuals are very
polarized in their views/acceptance on the condition.  Perhaps though the
following might be useful.

Humorous (though serious) food for thought:

Does anyone have a drilling or hole forming process that will perform complete
nailheading without violating the minimum (internal) electrical dielectric
spacing requirements?

If so, just think of the processing steps we could eliminate.  By-by to the
electroless metalization and conductive film processes.  If the edges of the
nailheading bridged (were smeared) to the adjacent land's nail head we would
have "solid" copper from the primary-side to the secondary-side lands.  This
could improve the integrity of the plated-through hole.

In addition,  as a bonus, we would improve our P2&WMin (pollution prevention
and waste minimization) activities -- (now if only we could eliminate the
copper overplating).

Remember, you read it first here on the IPC's "Technet" (;-})

Ralph Hersey