From:
"Bob Lundquist" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 96 10:16:08 CDT
I thought I would bring up another consideration in this discussion --
resource management.

Is it better to leave the copper pads on the circuit board, or etch it
off into the etchant?  From the perspective of raw material usage, it
seems to me that it would be better to leave the pads on, then, less
resources, etchant-wise, are needed to remove those pads.

Also, looking at the life cycle of a printed circuit, that copper
would then be recycled or reclaimed in the same manner as the rest of
the circuit.  Here again, my gut feel is that this would consume less
resources than etching off the pads.

This is assuming standard processes are used -- namely subtractive;
although there may be considerations for semi- or fully-additive
technologies.

Robert Lundquist
Assistant Director -- MnTAP
Suite 207