TECHNET Archives

October 2001

From:
Eric Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 15:35:33 +0100
Hi Dave,
Semantics, I realise, but my dictionary does not confine itself to our
industry, so joining a lead pipe to another with tin or a tin lead alloy is
soldering, but not as we know it.
I attended a soldering and brazing conference dinner some years ago when the
outgoing president of the Institute of Metals (as was) started his speech by
noting that the Romans were known to have been soldering over 2,000 years
ago. He then leant forward, for emphasis, and said "Gentlemen, why haven't
you got it right yet?"
Well, we can only keep trying.
Regards
Eric Dawson