From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 09 May 96 07:48:58 cst
     James/Pat-
        Soldering to nickel is one of those "fun" activities in
     electronics! You can solder to nickel but will need a very active flux
     which if not properly removed will lead to corrosion problems. What is
     the problem with the tin over copper finish you are currently
     receiving? If you are having solderability problems with it,
     investigate the tin plating thickness, if it is too thin the copper
     will diffuse through the tin plating and make an copper/tin oxide
     which can cause soldering problems. I would not use the nickel/brass
     unless you put a solderable finish (e.g. gold, palladium) over the
     nickel. We use low residue flux processes and the flux activity
     required for a nickel finish would not be compatible.

     Dave Hillman
     Rockwell Collins