From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jul 96 18:18:07 cst
     Hi Dave - sorry for the late reply but I have been on travel the past
     week. Here is my responses to your questions:

     1) What solderability test methods are recommended for these products?

     Solderability testing would be per J Standard 003. This specification
     works for ALL coatings provided that you and your board fabricator
     come to an agreement on what degradation method to use. Example: I
     wouldn't dare think about using steam aging to evaluate a gold/nickel
     finish. I would work out a dry bake or some type of humid bake with my
     board supplier. The 003 specification lists several solderability test
     methods for the user to apply.

     2) Is the IPC in the process of capturing these requirements?

     The 003 specification is under revision right now. In addition the
     Alternative Solderable Finishes task group is looking at several
     non-tin finishes and trying to develop a conditioning procedure(s) for
     these alternative finishes.

     3) Is there an 'optimum' manufacturing/storage condition to minimize
     or hopefully eliminate solderability concerns?

     Tough question! What works for some PWA manufacturers doesn't work for
     others. Look at solderability as a two mechanism problem: diffusion
     and oxidation. If you finishes are thick enough to eliminate any
     diffusion problems (nickel going through gold, copper through silver,
     copper through tin/lead, etc.) then you only need to stop oxidation. A
     dry, temperature controlled environment could give you good results.
     If diffusion is a problem then all the careful storage in the world
     won't help you. The simple answer to an optimum storage condition is
     probably in a space orbit but that would be a bit expensive!

     4) Is it implied that only ONE soldering process can be used with
     immersion gold finishes thereby precluding the use of double sided
     SMD?

     No, many people use immersion gold and two passes very successfully.
     You need to look at the process overall. How long are you storing the
     boards, what flux are you using, who's plating baths are being used,
     etc. A great many variables that need to be looked at, characterized,
     and controlled so your process is repeatable.

     5) How accurate is the measurement of gold in the ranges typically
quoted in immersion gold thicknesses (ie 2-6 microinches)? Is this measured
by weight gain? XRF?

     A good thickness measurement tool is XRF and I believe that it is the
most widely used also. Weight gain, cross sectioning, and other methods are
not accurate enough for the thin plating systems.

Hope this is helpful. There is going to be some good, new data on
alternative finishes at the SMI Conference in September that may be helpful
too.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins