From:
Dwight Mattix<[log in to unmask]> (Dwight Mattix)
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 1996 07:07:22 -0700 (PDT)
At 6:41 AM 8/21/96, Jeff Seeger wrote:
>answer is that layers are much less expensive than moving to BoBoB
>(Blind or Buried or Both).

(insert tongue in cheek)
sheese! all you digital guys ever think about is density.

welcome to the world of wireless (yes harriet there is life out there
beside pc's, servers, and workstations).  :^)

we use blinds in rf assy's (cell phones, satcom user terminals) for
a) isolation,
b) reduced package size and
c) decreased assy complexity/connector count.

in effect, we design and fab two rf boards w/ gnd planes on the bottom
layer, laminate them together (gnd to gnd) and then drill/plate to connect
the two assy's.

costly?
yep.
relative to what?

much cheaper and thinner than the alternative.  the option being two assy's
seperated by a shield w/ soldered feedthru's, cables or blind mate
connectors (yech).

connectors are evil.

can never save money on connectors (unless of course they're being
eliminated :-) ).

toodles,
dwight

senior qe geek
"if you're so smart, why are you in quality?"