TECHNET Archives

June 2020

From:
Roger Mack <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Roger Mack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jun 2020 19:34:59 +0000
QFP's with center pads are tricky. Check the tolerance on the lead to bottom of part. We use similar parts that had a 2 to 6mil gap tolerance (and with just the large cooling plate). On the thin end you squeeze out extra solder to be trapped under the body, and thick x-ray will fail for insufficient. Defects rates could change with new lots of components.

Making the board side pad larger eliminated loose solder balls-excess solder wets out nicely, and a step stencil for the thicker end of tolerance worked best. Now working well consistently. Having a bunch of small pads outside the cooling plate would prevent this plan and will be a big problem if the gap between body and board has variation.

Try and find a QFN or BGA alternate.

Roger Mack