From:
Paul Gould <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 1996 18:23:01 GMT
Hi Phil

In your message dated Sunday 29, September 1996 you wrote :
> In another case of a ml, measles that were attributed to moisture absorption
> was not eliminated by a 4 hour bake at the supplier and a 4 hour bake at the
> user at 125 deg C  just prior to loading.  However, a 1 hour bake at 10 deg C
> above the Tg of the material solved the problem, the Tg of the material 145
> deg C. (Stress relief, not moisture removal, was perhaps the function of the
> bake).

This would seem to indicate that the resin was not quite fully cured and
resulted in the free water molecules being left over from the partial
polymerisation. The full Tg + 10C bake completed the cure and eliminated the
problem.

The temperature at the center of the stack will reach the critical point some
time after the platen, and the best way to calibrate this is with a panel
fabricated with a thermocouple at the centre and each corner to measure the
temperature profile placed at the centre of a stack.

We still bake all multi-layer panels after pressing to ensure full
polymerisation and to relieve stress. This may be a belt and braces approach but
we do not suffer any problems with measling on 0.125" 6-layer backplanes.
For HASL, these are typically immersed in solder at 250C for 6 seconds with no
pre-heat and can withstand several cycles without delamination or measling.

The inner layers should be baked before pressing at low temperature to ensure
they are dry. Care is needed here as the bake will re-oxidise the reduced oxide
layer so it must not be too hot or too long.

Another point is to store the pre-preg in as dry an atmosphere as possible since
it really soaks up water. If the pre-preg is high in moisture you will see
excessive resin flow and possibly foaming around the edges.

If the resin is fully cured and there is no moisture in the material when
pressed, I do not think moisture absorption in the finished panel is significant
enough to cause measling or delamination, although it could cause outgassing in
less than perfect holes.

Hope this helps,
Regards
Paul Gould