From:
"D.C.Whalley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 1996 17:06:47 -0400
John,

The sensitivity of the accuracy of IR measurements to the emmissivity
depends both on the absolute temperatures involved and the ambient
temperature (if the emmisivity is 0.5 you pick up 50% less energy
from the sample, but you also pick up the 50% of the ambient energy
that is reflected by the sample). The emmisivity adjustment on simple
temperature probes assume the ambient is enough colder than the sample
for ambient reflections not to be significant. If this is not true
then even if you know the real emmisivity you wont get an accurate
reading.

Having said that I would have expected a rubber roller to have a fairly
high emmisivity & if your ambient temp is fairly stable then you should
get reasonable accuracy by calibrating the sensor using a thermocouple
fixed to a stationary roller.

David Whalley
Loughborough University