From:
"Dill, Norm J" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 03 Jul 96 09:27:00 DST

Steve,
      PPM defect reduction is important and with respect to a failed PWB
resulting in loss of life there is a higher level of liability that applies.
 My position and I think Avner's original questions are based on daily life
in the trenches of PWB manufacturing and purchasing.  Yields of less than
100% are a daily occurrence that result in rejected material.
      If you are serious about buying the best boards for your money, you
are obligated to understand what you are buying.  If you are serious, you
are obligated to learn the actual capabilities of your suppliers.  This also
allows you to compare between your suppliers.   Now you know your orders are
placed within your best shops capabilities.  This knowledge will drive you
to add or drop shops before they drop you.
      Visiting a shop, checking out their housekeeping and negotiating a
"buy back" or other muscle based program provides no assurances to you as a
customer that you have placed your orders with a shop that will be able to
provide you with good, on time boards, on an on going basis.  Yes, you are
comforted by a contract that 'protects' you if they are defective, but isn't
that always too late.  Now your schedule is blown, or worse, your end
customer has failed products with your name on them.  Sure you have a
contract that if you can make it stick, provides you some monetary
compensation but the damage is done.  You missed your schedule and/or you
have lost a good customer.   In addition, there is nothing that prevents
this from becoming a repeat occurrence with your other shops or with the new
ones you added to replace the last ones that sent you defective boards.
      Get to know your supplier's process capabilities so you know first
hand what you are buying.  Your board shop's only obligation is to remain as
a profitable business.   For your own best interests, you need to be in a
knowledgeable position so that you can participate with them.

      Norm