From:
"Goldman, Patricia J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Sep 96 08:44:00 PDT

As a micro-etch (either type) becomes saturated with copper, there is a
tendency for it to redeposit copper sulfate crystals, especially when it
hits a cold rinse.  These tiny copper sulfate crystals will cause dewetting
in HASL. It is common practice to follow the micro-etch rinse with a
sulfuric acid dip of 5-10% and rinse.  This redissolves the copper sulfate.
 Another fix is to change (persulfate) or regenerate (peroxide-sulfuric) the
micro-etch more frequently, to prevent copper buildup in the solution.
 Also, maintain enough acid in the etch (see supplier) to keep the maximum
amount of copper in solution.

Patty