From:
[log in to unmask] (Jerry Cupples)
Date:
Tue, 17 Sep 1996 18:06:50 -0500
Michael Hughes said:

>I'm at Cabletron Systems, Inc. in Rochester, NH.
>
>I saw alot of EMail on Implementation of BGA Process Technology.
>
>We're ramping up our BGA PCB production on a product and
>
>if you have some guidelines/checklists on BGA Process Technology,
>
>please send me an EMail on it.

Here are a few of the things we learned (PBGA's)

They will popcorn like nothing you ever saw before. They give "moisture
sensitive" a whole new meaning. So, all those really scary warning labels
we all usually ignore - don't ignore them this time. Make sure they are
drypacked when you get them. If you must use parts from opened envelopes,
bake them prior to placement.

If your reflow profile carries them over about 220 C, they are black
cookies. This applies to rework as well, the die tends to separate from the
substrate. BGA's are not nearly so robust as molded QFP's with regard to
thermal excursions.

Other than the above, they have not caused the building to shake here.
Magazine camera crews have been seen lurking out on the street nearby, but
we lock the doors tightly. You should plan to ask your boss for a 20% pay
raise and start working on a book now that you are in the elite super
high-tech BGA user fraternity.

BTW, I'm still SICK of seeing articles about them!

regards,

Jerry Cupples
Interphase Corporation
Dallas, TX USA